Published: Mon, April 22, 2013
The number of violators in the current election gun ban has reached the 2,567 mark, figures from the Philippine National Police (PNP) indicated.
Police Chief Supt Generoso Cerbo Jr., the PNP spokesman, said that police operations in compliance with Comelec Resolution 9561A and Republic Act 8292 have resulted in the arrest of 2,567 persons, mostly civilians, since the rule was imposed early this year.
As of Saturday last week, the PNP said 2,360 of those arrested were civilians, 34 were government officials, 117 security guards, 32 from the PNP, 16 from the Armed Forces of the Philippines, three from Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP), one from the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), and three from the Citizens Armed Forces Geographical Unit (CAFGU).
The PNP added that it has confiscated 2,423 firearms, 126 air guns and firearm replicas, 795 bladed weapons, 145 grenades, 333 other explosives, and 21,781 rounds of ammunition.
The Commission on Elections gun ban, which seeks to minimize poll-related violence, started last Jan. 13 and will last until June 12.
While the ban is in effect, permits to carry firearms outside residences are usually suspended, with only law enforcers in uniform and on duty allowed to carry firearms.
The PNP Chief, Police Director General Alan Purisima, said law enforcers will remain active in security operations while reiterating that his instructions to PNP units are to intensify checkpoint and gun check operations to ensure Secure and Fair Elections (SAFE 2013).
Purisima is Vice Chair of National Task Force SAFE, which is in charge of the security preparations for the 2013 polls.